Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Abundance in Giving

The more you give, the more you feel abundant and the more you feel abundant, the more contented you get. Satisfaction lies in doing, not in having. Having is just a trophy.”

Marvin Macatol (Basic 204, Starshooters 64, Heroic 26) is a big guy with a big heart. He has been actively helping the homeless even before he joined PSI. As an active volunteer of Gawad Kalinga (GK) for two years, he, along with other volunteers has provided homes to a lot of people and has transformed the lives not only of those who were given houses, but them as well. Marvin is part of the caretaker team. His tasks include implementing the shelter component, defining the housing need, prepare the bill of materials, monitor budget and disbursements and supervise the foreman and volunteer.

Marvin is also a full time father, a businessman and an active volunteer of PSI. How does he find time… “I just decide what the most important thing to do is. I schedule my evening one or two weeks in advance and I delegate a lot. I visualize a lot – What I want to happen, I visualize. When you delegate something you cast a vision. Anyone you work with has to see the vision also.”

The price to pay: phone bill is high, but this is nothing to the sense of satisfaction he feels.

No comments: